National Digital Literacy Programme (NDLP)
The National Digital Literacy Programme (NDLP) was launched in March 2020 to make digital learning inclusive by equipping students with the digital literacies to be future-ready.
Under the NDLP, MOE announced in 2020 that every student will own a school-prescribed personal learning device (PLD) by end-2021. The PLDs will be used in tandem with the national e-learning platform – the Singapore Student Learning Space (SLS) – as well as other educational technology to personalise and enhance students’ learning. This will enable students to acquire digital skills and apply these skills as they navigate an increasingly digitalised world.
For information on the parents' engagement on NDLP, you may click HERE to download the slides.
Intended Outcomes of Personalised Digital Learning Programme (PDLP)
There are 3 intended outcomes of the 1:1 personalized learning environment. The use of the personal learning devices for teaching and learning will
1) Support the development of digital literacies, where students will learn digital skills such as gathering and evaluating information online, interacting with the online community, and creating digital products.
2) Support, where students can access digital resources on their own to self-directed and collaborative learning acquire knowledge about a topic of their interest beyond the curriculum. They can also share and build on one another's ideas, and refine their own understanding.
3) Enhance Teaching & Learning. 1:1 learning environment allows teachers and students to harness technology for greater effectiveness in teaching. For example, instructions, activities and feedback for each student could be more tailored and relevant to students' learning needs.
CHIJ SJC’s Personal Learning Device
At CHIJ SJC, your child/ward will be using Personal Learning
Device (PLD)for active learning in all subjects, including the conduct,
completion and submission of authentic learning/inquiry tasks that require
research, digital creation and collaborative learning. The device that the
students will be purchasing is intended for Teaching & Learning purposes,
and device affordability for all students is one of the key considerations. The school has chosen a chromebook as it
offers a seamless integration of Google Classroom affordances and complements
the incorporation of the students’ move into the MOE Student iCON
email-platform which is google-based.
Use of Edusave
If your child/ward is a Singapore citizen, you can use your
child’s/ward’s Edusave to pay partly or fully for the PLD. A Singapore citizen
student can use up to the available Edusave balance in her Edusave account to
pay for the PLD after setting aside provision for payment of 2nd tier
miscellaneous fees. MOE has provided a one-off Edusave top-up in 2020, to all
eligible Singaporean students in primary and secondary schools. This is on top
of the annual Edusave contribution for secondary students and primary students.
Parents/guardians can also choose to pay cash for the PLD. Please note that it is compulsory for all existing students on the MOE Financial Assistance Scheme to use their Edusave to pay for the PLD, after subsidies have been granted.
Funding Support for Non-Singapore Citizen Students
- Permanent residents (PR) and international students (IS) who need support could apply for subsidies, particularly those whose Gross Household Income (GHI) is below $4000 or Per Capita Income (PCI)# is below $1000.
- For more details, please approach the school.
Supporting Students in the Safe and Effective Use of the Devices
The school has in place some measures to enable a safe and seamless learning environment for students. The role of the parent is also key in partnering the school to support your child.
To support you in keeping your child safe online, you may refer to these resources:
- Parent Handbook (I) on Learning with a PLD
- PARENT HANDBOOK (I) ON 1-TO-1 LEARNING
- Parent Kit on Cyber Wellness for Your Child (https://go.gov.sg/moe-cyber-wellness)
- MOE Cyber Wellness Programme (https://www.moe.gov.sg/programmes/cyber-wellness/ )
- Media Literacy Council (https://go.gov.sg/better-internet-sg)
- National Library’s Learning & Information Literacy Resources (https://sure.nlb.gov.sg/ )
- TOUCH Community Services (https://help123.sg)
Important Actions For Parents
The online form will consist:
· Intent to Purchase PLD
· Edusave Withdrawal (for SC only)
· Authorisation to collect PLD
If you are unable to submit this form online, please contact the school General Office for a hardcopy version and submit it to the General Office by 16 May 2021, Monday.
Should there be any further queries or clarification, you may contact the school at email@example.com