- To inspire the passion for Humanities in students and help them understand the interconnectedness of Singapore and the world and relevance in their learning.
- To equip students with critical thinking skills and 21st century competencies that will allow them to thrive in an increasingly complex world.
- To nurture students who are concerned and active citizens committed to contribute to the society and world they live in.
1. Key pedagogies: Inquiry-based & Issue-based Learning in the Humanities Curriculum
- Use of questions, problems, and scenarios to spark curiosity among students and help them learn through their own investigation and reflection. These approaches help to encourage critical thinking, investigation and problem-solving in the exploration of questions or issues. Students would be equipped with 21st century skills to become independent and self-directed learners.
- Facilitation by teachers to guide students’ thinking and help them make sense of the wealth of information available to them.
- Geographical and Historical Investigations through field-based and experiential learning offer opportunities for students to engage in the inquiry process.
Coastal fieldwork @ East Coast Park
|Tourism fieldwork @ Chinatown
2. Nurturing the passion for Humanities
- Nurture the passion for Humanities through various experiential learning opportunities such as learning journeys (e.g. visit to Kranji War Memorial on Total Defence Commemoration and Marina Barrage) and enrichment programmes (e.g. URA Urban Planning Festival and NUS Geography Challenge).
- Make learning of Humanities meaningful by deepening students’ disciplinary understanding by engaging students in discussion of real-world issues associated with the Humanities.
|Secondary 1 Geography LJ to Marina Barrage
- NUS Geography Challenge (annual participation)
- Learning Journeys (e.g. Marina Barrage and URA Planning Festival 2019)
- Fieldwork (Annual)
- Coastal Fieldwork @ East Coast Park (All Pure Geography students)
- Tourism Fieldwork @ Chinatown/ Little India/ Merlion Park (Sec 4 Express /Normal Academic)
- Sengkang Water Trail in collaboration with the Environment committee (CCE) (Sec 1 Express /1 Normal Academic)
- Historical Investigation to the National Museum for Sec 1Exp/NA students
- Historical Investigation to Former Ford Factory/ Fort Siloso for Sec 2Exp/NA students
- Singapore History Day Competition for Sec 1
Singapore History Day Competition
Historical Investigation @ Fort Siloso
- Participation in ASEAN Day organised by Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2019)