Nutrition & Food Science
In light of changing lifestyles, technological advancements and innovations in food products, Nutrition and Food Science aims to develop our students to be:
- Food Ambassadors by advocating nutrition and health for self, family and the community.
- Discerning Consumers by appreciating how a variety of food is used in food management and taking into consideration issues of food security.
- Food Innovators by applying scientific principles during food preparation and cooking.
We encourage our students to be self-directed learners in the world of nutrition and food science, in the belief that they will continue to learn about nutrition and food long after they have left secondary school as a matter of necessity, hobby or professional pursuit.
Through the planned inclusion of Inquiry-Based Learning (IBL), Collaborative Learning (CoL) and Experiential Learning (ExL) in the crafting of our curriculum, our students will develop their skills through a series of culinary challenges designed to encourage critical and creative thinking in the selection and preparation of food for different purposes in life.
- Authentic & experiential learning experiences through:
- A wide range of thematic questions exposing students to a range of topics, skills and methods, for example, different types of food commodities, food science experiments, methods of cooking and health trends.
- Opportunities to learn beyond the classroom, for example, themed food competitions, workshops and talks by professionals in the food industry.
- Cross-disciplinary learning through collaboration with other departments
- Our Lower Secondary students see connections between Food & Consumer Education (FCE) and Outdoor Education lessons in Physical Education (PE) when they apply what they have learnt about food safety and cooking in FCE to outdoor cooking.
- Self-directed learning through the use of information and communication technology
- Students are able to carry out their FCE learning independently using Google classroom and SLS.
Putting the finishing touches to our dish
Visiting a working kitchen to learn more about the food industry!