|HOD/MT:||Mdm Tan Nan Sy|
||Sec 1 CL: Ms Lim Siew Chun
|Sec 2 CL & CLB: Mdm Zhang Yonghong
|Sec 3 CL & HCL: Mdm Chia Jun Ru|
|Sec 4/5 CL: Mr Christopher Sim Wee Ming|
|ML, 3rd Lang., Asian Lang. & Foreign Lang.: Ms Albaniah|
|TL: Mdm Geetha|
We strive to create a vibrant academic environment that supports the acquisition of Mother Tongue languages in a fun and engaging manner whereby students not only acquire the functional and creative use of Mother Tongue languages, they also develop a passion for the language.
Key Focus and Rationale:
The Mother Tongue (MT) Department focuses on developing individual student’s ability to read, write and communicate in their MT language as well as developing students' appreciation of various cultural traditions, cultures and languages.
This is to prepare students to face challenges in an increasing globalised world. With a sound foundation in their own languages and cultures as well as an appreciation of cultures, they would have the ability to connect with people from different cultures, traditions and languages.
- (in-house, for Sec 1-5): Chinese, Malay, Tamil, Higher Chinese, Basic Chinese, Basic Malay, Basic Tamil
- (at the various centres, for Sec 4 ONLY): CL 'B', ML 'B', TL 'B' *
- (at various centres, for eligible students): Asian Languages & Foreign Languages
* Pls take note that all SJC students, except for those granted MT exemption, MUST do their approved Mother Tongue from Sec 1 to 3. For students who are eligible to take MT 'B' syllabus, they will only be offered the subject in Sec 4.
These Sec 4 students will attend lessons at the following centres:
CL'B': Compassvale Sec School/ St Patrick's Sec School
ML'B': MOE Language Centre (Bishan)
TL'B': Umar Pulavar Tamil Language Centre
Hindi Parallel Programme
The school will gradually phase out the Hindi Parallel Programme, by not taking in new Sec 1 (2018) parallel programme students. We will still continue classes for existing students until they graduate. As such, Hindi ISPP will be completely phased out in 2021.
Innovative Programmes / Curriculum:
(A) Teaching and learning
- New Curriculum with emphasis on Listening & Oral skills presentation and critical & inventive thinking skills.
- Use of ICTtools such as McOnline and iMTL platform to support learning.
- Revising & creating baseline resources to meet the learning needs of students.
- Department White space and Open lesson to level up teaching competency.
(B) Emphasis on reading as a life skill which is reflected in our effort to promote reading in school. Students are provided the opportunity to read newspapers, magazines, novels of different genres and non-fiction texts.
(C) Develop an in-depth understanding of different cultures through various enrichment programmes organised by the department.
Key Events / Activities:
"A Date with Hartono. In Love with Chinese" Campus Show
- Language & Cultural Camps
- Mother Tongue Fortnight
- Chinese Lunar New Year celebrations
- Overseas trip or fieldtrip: expose students to usage and appreciation of Mother Tongue Language.
- National/Cluster Schools’ MT language Competition.
- "Meet-the-Author" Workshop
- MT CoOL, Learning MT from Celebrities
- Cultural exposure: students attend performance under "Cultural Exposure Scheme" (CL).
- Sec1 Arts Appreciation Programme - Our Songs, Our Stories
- Sec 1 TL: Cultural Games
- Sec 1 ML: Ondeh-ondeh
- Sec 2 TL: Rangoli
- Sec 2 ML: Dikir Barat
- Sec 3 TL: Creative Writing
- Sec 3 ML: Public Speaking
- The Voice of SJC
- Spring Festival Celebrations 2017 金鸡报喜贺新春
- MT CoOL Programme -- Learning CL from Celebrities "名师学堂"王德远老师主讲《阿婆的手》
- 圣婴圣若瑟首次举行越野赛跑 (published on 26 Mar 2015, Zaobao Comma)
- 圣婴女中（圣若瑟）学生爱上新谣 (published on 28 Apr 2015, Zaobao Comma)
- 圣婴圣若瑟 醒狮迎春师生乐开怀 (published on 30 Mar 2016, Zaobao Comma)
- 青春无畏 逐梦扬威 (published on 11 May 2016, Zaobao Comma)
- 韩流来袭 影响何在？ (published on 20 Jul 2016, Zaobao Comma)
- 《圣婴好声音》唱响青春, 放飞梦想 (published on 5 Oct 2016, Zaobao Comma)
- 颁奖礼肯定学生努力 (published on 6 July 2016, Zaobao Comma)
- 圣婴女中学生 看相声喜剧学华语 (published on 14 Dec 2016, Lianhe Zaobao )
- 新年庆祝会 教师献才艺 (published on 1 March 2017, Zaobao Comma)